Are you a recent international graduate from an Australian university looking to start your career in Australia? The right Professional year program will not only get you 5 points toward your permanent Residency in Australia but also will be the perfect Stepping stone to your dream career
What is a Professional year?
A Professional Year Program is a structured professional development program combining formal learning and workplace experience for international students who have graduated from a university in Australia. They are designed to kick-start the careers of the new Australian International graduates in the fields of Accounting, Information Technology, and Engineering. Professional year programs help you achieve this by providing relevant practical training and workshops, a professional internship and networking opportunities.
What will you do during the professional year?
The professional year consists of two components: The coursework component and the internship component.
During the 32-week coursework component, 8 topics will be undertaken. These include topics such as Australian work culture, Workplace health and safety business communications, job search skills and simulated workplace training, etc. Each topic will take 4 weeks to complete and includes 2 weeks of classroom study, 1 week of Internship training and 1 week of simulated workplace training.
The internship component is a 12-week placement at an industry partner that is tailored to meet specific career goals and achieve practical learning outcomes. The industry placements are made in a real-world interview selection process after one-on-one career planning sessions and internship interview preparation with a dedicated placement coordinator. It can either be a full-time or part-time placement, dependent on which program you have enrolled, to ensure you maximize your learning outcomes and provides the best opportunity to network with potential employers. You will be monitored of your internship from day one and receive comprehensive feedback on your workplace performance.
In addition to which, you will have access to numerous resources that the professional year provider has to offer including:
- Free English test preparation training (IELTS and PTE)
- Free professional development workshops and networking events
- Ongoing career counseling; before and during the program and after graduation
Benefits of taking a professional year program
- Helps to meet the skills assessment requirement for Accounting and IT fields
- Gain 5 points in the Australian skilled migration assessment criteria
- Gain a certificate of the completion of the Professional Year Program certificate.
- Enhance your CV and interview skills
- Develop practical skills through a professional internship
- Develop skills to communicate effectively and professionally within the workplace
- Build your network of industry professionals
- Gain an understanding of the Australian workplace and industry
- Completion of a relevant Australian qualification within the past 24 months.
- Hold a Subclass 485: Temporary Graduate Visa or have a visa application in progress (Or, Subclass 476: Skilled — Recognised Graduate Visa for Engineering Graduates)
- Meet the English requirement of the Institute.
- Provide a valid skills assessment if the institute requires it.